Precursor Games Update

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Denis Dyack, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Denis Dyack

Denis Dyack Chief Creative Officer Staff Member Precursor Games Eldritch Depository Codex: Invisorum Oathbound Featured Magnate Featured Superposition Administrator Ordo

Media:
    Albums:
    Local Time:
    4:03 AM
    It is with a heavy heart that we have decided to put the Shadow of the Eternals project on hold. We are very happy with what we have accomplished both as a group and with the community. The community has blown us away and was the one thing that kept us going through it all - we cannot thank you enough.

Many of us will be taking a break. For those who are not aware, we all worked on this project as a labor of love and self financed 100% of everything for a over a year to try to make Shadow of the Eternals a reality. Although we did not succeed on doing this, we succeeded in making many friends and starting something that we hope provided value for those involved. We have no regrets.

Denis, Phil and Aaron have decided to continue to run the forums for those who wish to stay hang out and talk. Denis, Phil and Aaron will also be taking a break but will be around posting and talking with everyone when they can. Others from Precursor will also be popping in from time to time.

Is the project dead? No, but we feel it needs a rest too. We have all agreed as a group that when and if the time is right we will get together and start it up again.

Keep your head high everyone and remember what we have accomplished together.

- The Precursor Games Team
    • Friendly (positive) Friendly (positive) x 6
    • Informative (positive) Informative (positive) x 4
    • Like (positive) Like (positive) x 2
    • Dislike (Neutral) Dislike (Neutral) x 1
  2. RAziel1979

RAziel1979 Accredited Ordo Community Champion Resolute Honorable

Local Time:
    3:03 AM
    I keep typing things to say and keep deleting them because I have no idea where to start.
    I want to ask a million questions, but at the same time I don't know which ones are the right ones to ask.
    What a sad update.
    • Agree (positive) Agree (positive) x 8
  3. TheInfernalFangirl

TheInfernalFangirl Inner Circle Ordo Staff Member Community Champion Codex: Invisorum Artisan Honorable Herald of Eternals Revered Herald Magnate Herald Featured Superposition Moderator Ordo

Media:
    Albums:
    Local Time:
    2:03 AM
    I'm really sad to see this but I don't blame you guys at all. I can only imagine how hard this has been emotionally, physically and financially.

Best of luck to you guys and hopefully some day the time will be right for SoTE.
    • Agree (positive) Agree (positive) x 2
    • Friendly (positive) Friendly (positive) x 2
  4. Sean

Sean Revered Ordo Scribe Oathbound Resolute Honorable Recently Awakened Superposition Ordo

Local Time:
    As someone who has been a part of this since the first crowd-funding attempt this does come as a bit of a bummer for all of us. The many trials and tribulations that you have gone through would have broken the backs of lesser men but you have always shown your ability to bounce back through them all. The internet is a crazy place and there are many people out there with many different ideas, but we all know that Precursor Games is a stand-up group and that they will hopefully come back stronger in the future. In the meantime, I hope that you will continue to work on something that you find passionate but that also allows you to live your lives comfortably.

I will keep this forum as a favorite, though I might not be very active (live is just too darn complicated!!). You can count on me to be an ambassador if you are able to resurrect this project in the future. Eternal Darkness, while not being as big of a hit as it should have been, will always live on in our lives and the promise of what Shadow of the Eternals can and WILL be will keep the proverbial shadows at bay for all of us. You have, through your commitment to this community, given me and many others something to hold onto and new friends as well. I'm sure I'm not alone in that I'm now connected through Facebook to people who I have met in these very forums. Though we might not meet in person we are inextricably connected in a way that I think is hard to define.

Please also know that all of our thoughts are with you during this time. Good luck everyone!
    • Like (positive) Like (positive) x 7
    • Agree (positive) Agree (positive) x 1
  5. Uldkræmmeren

Uldkræmmeren Acolyte Ordo Resolute Honorable

Local Time:
    10:03 AM
    This is very sad indeed. I hope you find some oportunity to make a few smaller games or maybe do some porting jobs for other companies, in order to grow and hopefully stand stronger financially. Shadow of The Eternals is about the most exciting project I can think of, and with the start of the new generation you will surely be able to find some way to make it happen. Also, with 2600+ members of the forums there is a lot of oportunity and enthusiasm. You have the talent, so make good use of it and stay together.
    • Agree (positive) Agree (positive) x 8
    • Like (positive) Like (positive) x 1
  6. kagatoASUKA89

kagatoASUKA89 Inner Circle Ordo Staff Member Community Champion Resolute Honorable Superposition Moderator Ordo

Local Time:
    I can't say I didn't see this coming (please do not take that line as hostility or anger) on behalf of those still running Order 333 I'd like to say we understand. We actually sat down a few weeks back and had a conversation as to what we'd do if something like this showed up or was posted and the vote was unanimous we aren't going anywhere we'll be right here if you need us. We miss you guys and have appreciated every moment we've spent talking with you and I hope we can still have more chats in the future because like you mentioned we too feel we've made friends here and I've gotta say we've been a bit worried about you guys and hope all is going well.
    • Agree (positive) Agree (positive) x 6
    • Friendly (positive) Friendly (positive) x 1
  7. Phil Haymes

Phil Haymes Chief of Strategic Ideation Staff Member Precursor Games Eldritch Depository Codex: Invisorum Artisan Scribe Oathbound Resolute Featured Superposition Administrator

Media:
    Albums:
    Local Time:
    I'd just like to thank everyone for the support and friendship. It's been a fun time and as mentioned, myself, Aaron and Denis shall still be around :)
    • Like (positive) Like (positive) x 6
  8. LonesomeDrifter

LonesomeDrifter Potential Pledge

Local Time:
    As sad as I am to hear this, at least the game is not cancelled. I understand that time and effort is necessary for a game to be polished. I'd hate to see this game rushed out. I hope progress will continue on this game soon and not several years down the road.
    • Agree (positive) Agree (positive) x 4
  9. Tobi

Tobi Inner Circle Ordo Community Champion Codex: Invisorum Scribe Resolute Honorable Superposition Ordo

Local Time:
    1:03 AM
    As others have said, it is a definite disappointment to hear of this development even though it was suspected.

Actually, I don't think any of us, or at least I myself were under the impression that SotE development would still be ongoing anytime soon without some kind of hail mary from an outside source given that most of us knew you guys haven't had any funding for over a year and totally need some kind of paycheck (which I totally relate to! :().

I think the thing that concerns me more is the apparent "break" of the some of the team. Goes without saying again that you guys need to do what you need to do in order to put food on the table. Still, I think a lot of us were hoping that the team would be able to remain together and do work on other ideas or projects, maybe collaborations with other teams/studios, in order to both make ends meat and slowly built up the Precursor rep. I would hope that something like that could still be accomplished even if some team members go about their own thing.

Well as has also been noted, you guys still have a pretty tight community here of fans who are waiting with baited breath to read about whatever your next move might be in the future. Many of us would likely be willing to help out in any way we can to assist you in whatever your future needs might be (I myself would volunteer lots of time with any content creation need, as this project is indeed a true labor of love). I'm sure most of us will still linger around here from time to time and it's good that Denis, Phil and Aaron will still be around to chat with. :)

Best of luck with your future endeavors! :cool:
    • Like (positive) Like (positive) x 3
    • Agree (positive) Agree (positive) x 3
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  10. Yamori

Yamori Adept Ordo

Local Time:
    5:03 PM
    This is very sad news.
    So that there is the rest that is good for you. And I pray for what can reopen sometime.
    • Like (positive) Like (positive) x 4
  11. Unyielding_Insanity

Unyielding_Insanity Inner Circle Ordo Community Champion Codex: Invisorum Artisan Resolute Honorable Superposition Ordo

Media:
    Albums:
    Local Time:
    1:03 AM
    well setbacks are to be expected. this was an ambitious first project, maybe too ambitious for a brand new company that quite frankly has had some shitty luck. the time wasn't right, and until it is i guess you may have to pander to the masses. i'm sorry to see this project be halted, but you can't kill an idea, no matter how hard the internet beats away at it.
    • Friendly (positive) Friendly (positive) x 3
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  12. Stefan

Stefan Revered Ordo Codex: Invisorum Resolute Honorable Herald of Eternals Revered Herald Superposition Ordo

Media:
    Albums:
    Local Time:
    I wonder if this isn't a sanity event.. the game got greenlit on steam and has over 40k people there who want to purchase the game. PG has a funding from 750k to work with and are easily able to raise more from pre-orders? so the game can be easily released. Also greenlit means the following:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Steam_Greenlight_games

The following are games and other software that have cleared the Steam Greenlight process; in Greenlight, developers can put up their game concepts (including screenshots, preview videos, and early builds) upon which community users can vote for these titles. Once titles have received a minimum number of votes, Valve will determine if the title is appropriate for the service, and then start working with the developer to bring the game/software to the Steam digital marketplace. Once this stage is reached, the game is considered "Greenlit".

In addition there's no mass email being send to all forum users regarding to put the game on a hold which PG is so passionate about to make and release. Not even a video from the PG Team to hold back the project.

PG is working over a year on the game, and the release date would be Q3 2014, this means that half? of the game has been completed..

Can however be wrong, but hope i'm right or i'd be getting insane and this can't be happening.. :nurse:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.precursorgames.com/forum...hadow-of-the-eternals-greenlit-on-steam.2827/

Hi Everyone,

Great news - Shadow of the Eternals has been Greenlit on Steam!

Thank you for all the support in this everyone we could not have done it without you!

Precursor Games Team.
  13. reaper

reaper Adept Ordo Artisan Resolute Honorable

Local Time:
    9:03 PM
    Sad to here this, but after hearing the other game you are in the middle of developing that was brought to the the table i wouldn't be surprised, But after seeing the greenlit i have high suspicion of this as well. Precursor games could of used steam early access feature, it would indeed be a great revenue feature. Maybe even throw in the demo as a thank you to the supporters, even if the game has been delayed, they could still continue on with the funding campaign. utilize everything you have i always say.

Or this could be a Sanity effect, it certainly seems to be so sudden. Can't trust things like this right of the back after several attempts before :wacky:. Something doesn't seem right ???..
  14. Stefan

Stefan Revered Ordo Codex: Invisorum Resolute Honorable Herald of Eternals Revered Herald Superposition Ordo

Media:
    Albums:
    Local Time:
    It is with a heavy heart that we have decided to put the Shadow of the Eternals project on hold. We are very happy with what we have accomplished both as a group and with the community. The community has blown us away and was the one thing that kept us going through it all - we cannot thank you enough.

Very happy about what has been accomplished so far, keep on going, make this real.

Many of us will be taking a break. For those who are not aware, we all worked on this project as a labor of love and self financed 100% of everything for a over a year to try to make Shadow of the Eternals a reality. Although we did not succeed on doing this, we succeeded in making many friends and starting something that we hope provided value for those involved. We have no regrets.

Many of us will be taking a break? Shouldn't it be everyone on the team who is taking a break? hmm..

Self Financed? Ok.. but not 100% since AMD has a partnership by funding the game for about half the budget required..

Denis, Phil and Aaron have decided to continue to run the forums for those who wish to stay hang out and talk. Denis, Phil and Aaron will also be taking a break but will be around posting and talking with everyone when they can. Others from Precursor will also be popping in from time to time.

Denis posted this message, shouldn't it be 'I', Phil and Aaron have decided..?

Again, Denis, Phil and Aaron.. should be 'I', Phil and Aaron, I wonder if its really Denis who posted this? Getting suspicious because somewhere it doesn't feel right.. :photogenic:

Denis posted the message so 'when they' should be 'when we'.. and denis should be 'I' again.. :nurse:

Is the project dead? No, but we feel it needs a rest too. We have all agreed as a group that when and if the time is right we will get together and start it up again.

Why Take a break now since alot of the game has been completed so far? Knowing that the team would be coming back together to make the game.. so why not making the game now, its greenlit on steam, there's partnership with AMD, the news has been spread at gamescom, on steam.. there are over 40k voters who want to purchase the game and everyone who pledged on Kickstarter want to have the game to, when waiting, gamers will become unaware that the game will still be made and would not take notice about when it does..

Keep your head high everyone and remember what we have accomplished together.

[​IMG]
    • Funny (positive) Funny (positive) x 1
  15. TheInfernalFangirl

TheInfernalFangirl Inner Circle Ordo Staff Member Community Champion Codex: Invisorum Artisan Honorable Herald of Eternals Revered Herald Magnate Herald Featured Superposition Moderator Ordo

Media:
    Albums:
    Local Time:
    2:03 AM
    Guys... *sigh*

I don't want to take on the mom role here but I'm going to. I know a lot of us want to believe its a sanity effect. But that's kind of like when your folks told you they took Fluffy to live on a farm when she got old.

Believe me, I wanted to see this as much as any one. Hell I got a little weepy over my coffee this morning when I saw this because I had so much time invested in this (and theoretically money) and I was so excited about it and then it was just gone. All I'm saying is don't set yourself up for disappointment by trying to read too much into things. Grieve it now. Have a toast for it and acknowledge it was a good time.

And in the event @Stefan really is right and this was a sanity effect...you guys are kind of assholes. I love you all. But still. :p
    • Funny (positive) Funny (positive) x 3
  16. reaper

reaper Adept Ordo Artisan Resolute Honorable

Local Time:
    9:03 PM
    dang can't find any this can't be happening pics :(

Why neglect steam is beyond me??

I bet even Gabe Newell would find this odd lol.
  17. XenoManso

XenoManso Inner Circle Ordo Community Champion Codex: Invisorum Artisan Scribe Resolute Honorable Superposition Ordo

Local Time:
    9:03 AM
    Hard to believe it too
    It was a pleasure to be part of this I have meet a lot of great people here
    It was a pleasure to "work" with PG and all the Brothers and Sisters of the this great Ordinem
    Do not forget The Ordinem de Non Visis does not die It stays and lurks in the shadows expecting the best time to reaper in the light of better days
    Glad to know you all I will be lurking around
    • Informative (positive) Informative (positive) x 1
  18. Phil Haymes

Phil Haymes Chief of Strategic Ideation Staff Member Precursor Games Eldritch Depository Codex: Invisorum Artisan Scribe Oathbound Resolute Featured Superposition Administrator

Media:
    Albums:
    Local Time:
    @Stefan unfortunately this is not a sanity effect, the game is on hold for the foreseeable future as mentioned in the post from the team that Denis posted.
    • Codex Worthy (positive) Codex Worthy (positive) x 6
  19. bloodraven43

bloodraven43 Inner Circle Ordo Community Champion Honorable Superposition Ordo

Local Time:

awe thats a shame but its all good...but when your ready to kick it off again dont forget to lets us know...good luck to everyone at precursor games hope everything gets sorted out and this games gets made...ill be around here and there also...thx for letting us know whats up
    • Codex Worthy (positive) Codex Worthy (positive) x 1
  20. bloodraven43

bloodraven43 Inner Circle Ordo Community Champion Honorable Superposition Ordo

Local Time:
    anytime phil...its been alot of fun