Would anyone want a Digital Wii U release of ED?

Discussion in 'Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem' started by Autosaver, May 8, 2013.

1. Autosaver

Autosaver Acolyte Ordo Resolute

Local Time:
    10:21 PM
    I didn't own a Gamecube so I never got to pick up ED. I did have a Wii though so I did look back to see some Gamecube games that I missed out. Several were high priced and rare to find. Eternal Darkness is $100 New and $30 Used. It's slightly expensive for a 10+ year old game.

The Wii U is the latest console by Nintendo. It has the ability to play virtual console games and Gamecube games are expected to arrive on the eShop in the future. This made me think... could we see Eternal Darkness on the store? It would be perfect to release the game that started it all. Or maybe release the game before the SotE comes out to hold us over? I'd honestly buy it if released.
    • Like (positive) Like (positive) x 3
    • Agree (positive) Agree (positive) x 1
  2. StudiodeKadent

StudiodeKadent Adept Ordo Resolute Superposition Ordo

Local Time:
    12:21 PM
    Nintendo recently renewed the trademark on ED so its possible they'll be selling it via Virtual Console.

That said, an HD remake of ED would probably be something which would attract Nintendo's interest more... perhaps Precursor can say "we'll do a Wii U-exclusive HD remake of ED, in exchange you let us use the ED trademark on SotE" or something like that.
    • Like (positive) Like (positive) x 1
    • Informative (positive) Informative (positive) x 1
    • Creative (positive) Creative (positive) x 1
  3. Chosenoneknux

Chosenoneknux Novice Ordo Resolute

Local Time:
    3:21 AM
    This.

I think WW HD points towards select GC and Wii games coming out both physically and digitally - ED in HD would be a great boost for SoTE's market presence / campaign too!
  4. Jonathan Foye

Jonathan Foye Acolyte Ordo Resolute

Local Time:
    I totally recommend picking it up. Even at the current price, high though it is, it's worth every penny.

I 100 percent completed ED on the Gamecube, but would definitely shell out for a refined HD version. I love it that much.
    • Like (positive) Like (positive) x 2
  5. Autosaver

Local Time:
    The problem though is that the Wii U does not play Gamecube games. Even if I did pick up a copy, I wouldn't be able to play it anymore.
  6. StudiodeKadent

StudiodeKadent Adept Ordo Resolute Superposition Ordo

Local Time:
    This is only partly true.

The Wii U cannot play Gamecube games from the disk, nor can it use the GC controller or memory card. This is true.

But Nintendo are planning on selling Gamecube games digitally, via Virtual Console, that will run on the Wii U. The Wii U's CPU/GPU are all 100% BC with Wii and GC.
  7. RussFarmer

RussFarmer Adept Ordo Community Champion Artisan Scribe Oathbound Resolute Honorable Superposition Ordo

Local Time:
    9:21 PM
    This would totally be a day one buy for me! So many good thing about Eternal Darkness. Flawless story.
  8. kory

kory Novice Ordo Resolute

Local Time:
    7:21 PM
    I would download an hd remake in a heartbeat. I had it back when gamecube came out but never completed it. I was young and never finished games back then. I have matured as a gamer and want the chance to experience it again.
  9. DeadEnder

DeadEnder Novice Ordo Resolute

Local Time:
    9:21 PM
    I'm in. I was actually hoping this game hit WII U marketplace. You would think Nintendo would want to support Shadows and offer up Eternals as a downloadable game. WII U could use more quality games. Love the system, hate the selection.
    • Like (positive) Like (positive) x 2
  10. speedy-a

speedy-a Novice Ordo Resolute

Local Time:
    4:21 AM
    The WiiU is a GameCube x3 or x2. Only more power. Thats the reason for the Wii backward compatiblity. So it easy can play GameCube Games if Nintendo wanted it. But it seems that Nintendo goes the way like Sony with HD Remakes and don`t want to bring original games to the eshop cause that would already a lot of work to change the controls in each game and make it HDMI/WiiU Gamepad off Screen Compatible. And if they update the GameCube Games like Wind Waker its great... With Eternal Darkness that would be awesome if we get a WiiU HD Remake but thats a thing that Nintendo, Silicon Knights or Precursogames must do together so...
  11. Demonkyubi

Demonkyubi Accredited Ordo Community Champion Artisan Oathbound Resolute Honorable

Local Time:
    3:21 AM
    I popped this back into my Wii last night and i gotta say its one of the few games that has stood the test of time, looks great thanks to the inclusion of it's 16:9 widescreen option (think it may have been the 1st gamecube game to add that option).
    Still an HD remake would be nice or a re-release for the people who did not get a chance to play this epic game :)
  12. Efthymis

Efthymis Acolyte Ordo Resolute

Local Time:
    5:21 AM
    Would definitely buy it, even just for the nostalgia. I don't care if it would be an HD remake or the original game distributed via the Virtual Console.
  13. swiceguy

swiceguy Novice Ordo Resolute

Local Time:
    7:21 PM
    Just pick up a Gamecube. Aren't they only like $30 or something? Or have they become rare, and jumped in price?
  14. BlackGuardian

BlackGuardian Accredited Ordo Community Champion Artisan Oathbound Resolute Honorable Superposition Ordo

Local Time:
    I would just love Nintendo to death if they released a digital version of EDSR especially if it was in HD. Maybe we should start a petition for Nintendo to release EDSR in HD or pull a Wind Waker and remake it in HD?
  15. grussbarbar

grussbarbar Novice Ordo Resolute

Local Time:
    I'd love to have a digital version on Wii U! Because it's one of my favourite games of all time, because it'd be super easy to show to my friends and because it may help to make Shadows of the Eternals a successful seller. I truly hope Nintendo can recognize it as the classic it is, and at least consider rereleasing it in it's original form. An HD update would be even more welcome. =)
  16. Sifken

Sifken Accredited Ordo Scribe Resolute

Local Time:
    Please! Then I'd buy one for sure...
  17. Tabris

Tabris Novice Ordo Resolute

Local Time:
    Eternal Darkness is definitely a classic that would deserve an HD rerelease and even though I still have the original I'd buy it again without question.
  18. shadler

shadler Adept Ordo Resolute Honorable

Local Time:
    8:21 PM
    This comment makes me smile for some reason. It tells me there is a good change we will see it brought back in some shape or form. Before nintendo didn't have to do that with the wii, because it played Gc games. Bellow is some answers to that on their facebook page regarding bringing back Ed

Is there any chance that while in talks with Nintendo you can bring up a possible rerelease of the GameCube's Eternal Darkeness as a Virtual Console release? It would allow hype to build on the game and allow people who had not played before to get into the series!

[​IMG]
    Shadow of the Eternalsi: We will definitely discuss that. Thanks for the suggestion!
    and this
    • Similarly to a question about a virtual console release for the original Eternal Darkness, since a PC version for SotE is definite, any possibility of a PC re-release? Perhaps on Steam? I haven't had a working GameCube in years and I would love the opportunity to replay one of my all time favorite games on my desktop.
    • [​IMG]
      Shadow of the Eternals: Possibly but I cannot say for certain this close to the SotE launch.
  19. Onikafei

Onikafei Adept Ordo Community Champion Artisan Scribe Resolute Honorable Superposition Ordo

Local Time:
    8:21 PM
    I plan to replay it soon :) all time best horror game
  20. Autosaver

Local Time:
    The PC port is probably out of question since I do believe the game's IP is owned by Nintendo. I wonder why he said it was 'possible' especially with this game not using the original title.